Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Surgery: results, consequences and reality

Well ... how about that.

What I was absolutely certain was causing my pain and discomfort isn't. 

It's rather strange to hear that nothing is wrong and feel disappointed and confused. But after awhile, I thwapped myself on the forehead and said, "You idiot. You're healthy. No more surgeries. No scary bad news. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Obviously, I'm glad that there's nothing wrong. The disappointment came because I thought I finally had answers with a definitive treatment on the horizon.

The possible new diagnosis is IBS. After reading up about it, the symptoms make sense. And some symptoms were similar to endometriosis, which is what my doc and I thought we were up against. Since my symptoms got so much worse just before and during "that time of the month," I assumed it was all gyn related.

But now I realize - duh - I crave sweets and fattening treats during that time, so possibly my symptoms were worse because I was indulging in (such a nice way of saying "pigging out on") those types of foods.

I still need to read more about IBS ... from what I've read so far, some experts think this, some think that. Is it really what you eat that triggers problems? Or is it a dysfunction of the intestines? Or is it hormonal? One of my coworkers mentioned a link to fibromyalgia, which I have, so is it all a misfiring of nerves in the muscle? It's all very frustrating. And throwing my mold allergy into the mix ... I enjoyed grapes for an afternoon snack today, and spent the rest of my workday completely flushed - an allergic reaction. Did you know that grapes are very moldy? And I'd better have a bed or at the very least a couch nearby if I decide to eat bread. Snoozeville.

So, I spent a couple days whining and complaining to my good friend SETD'A (how do you like those intials?) and my mom ... but now I'm like, "Shut the H-E-double-hockey-sticks up." If the worse thing that happens to me is I get some cramping and diarrhea after eating certain foods or during certain days, or if I have to avoid certain foods because I have MINOR allergic discomfort, then I need to count myself among the truly blessed.

The lazy-ass part of me doesn't want to have to do all the work to figure out what I can eat and what I can't. The immature, compulsive side of me that is addicted to food wants to eat what I want when I want - consequences be damned.

But, obviously, you can't abuse your body and expect it to continue to work at 100%. Whether it's food, drugs, alcohol, over-exercising, overworking ... something's gonna give.

So ... I'm back where I started. Trying to eat right, overcome overeating, make healthy food choices. Listen to my body, and respect what it needs and what it's telling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment