Sunday, June 5, 2011

Several more successes

I continue to feel good, and I'm surprising myself with some very good choices.

Last night I made cheeseburgers for dinner. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE cheeseburgers. I had also baked up some frozen french fries and had some raw broccoli and carrots on the table, along with some pineapple. (My family as a whole has determined to eat more fruits and vegetables.)

I served up my kids' plates, then got my own. I fixed up my burger, then looked at the baking sheet of fries and realized I didn't want any. When I eat out, and my entree includes fries, the fries are usually the first thing to go. But this time, I just didn't want any.

So, I went to the table and cut my burger in half, got some veggies on my plate, and ate and chatted with my kiddos.

I finished half my burger and looked down at the other half - and decided I was full! Unheard of.

Oh, and we went to Bob Evans for breakfast and I didn't eat six or seven plates of food like I have in past, trying to get a bit of savory eggs and sweet pancakes and delicious biscuits. I had two eggs, one strip of bacon (gave the rest to my husband and son), some of my potatoes and one biscuit. Amazing to me. Seriously.

This morning I was feeling completely drained, and my first thought was, "I'm going to lay down." But then, my second thought was, "I'm going to go for a walk." Which I did.

I've been having these moments for the past few days, and it's exhilarating. I'm leaving food on my plate, I'm wanting to move around more. It's just been changing my focus from a number on the scale or a label in my clothes and having a date on the calendar looming over my head, to each day or each meal at a time, and just being mindful of my fullness/hunger.

Tonight, my daughter wanted a treat of some kind. We really don't have any sweets in the house right now, so I suggested that after dinner, maybe we could walk to the corner store and she and her brother could pick something out. Not DRIVE to the ice cream parlor, but walk to the store. It's less than a mile, but still. Walking is walking.

So we head out. It's a beautiful sunny day here in Michigan and we enjoy our walk and chat. They each pick out candy, and I pick out a treat for my husband and for myself, GUM.

Again, thank you, Lord, for your strength.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your successes. One significant moment at a time--that's all we can ask for.

    ReplyDelete