Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Might as well face it, you're addicted to food

(Did I just conjure sleek women with dull expressions and glossy red lips swaying in time to music they are not playing on the instruments they are holding?)

I'm currently in a period of using food for comfort and avoidance. It, in a (crass) word, sucks.

I've been indulging quite a bit with desserts in particular. I'm currently feeling frustrated with certain areas of my life, and rather than allowing myself to feel the frustration and, in turn, allow those feelings to prompt me to action that can possibly make things better, I eat treat after treat.

Makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it?

The rich, sugary foods make me happy, the full sensation comforts me, and I can forget for a few minutes about things that don't make me happy and that don't comfort me.

Then what happens?

On top of the frustrating situations, I'm now super soft and squishy - just in time for swimsuit season! Talk about frustrating (and a lot of s's in one sentence).

Writing it out like that really helps me see how completely ridiculous it is. And it reminds me of Geneen Roth's book Women, Food and God, or something like that. I'll have to dig up my notes on it and talk more about it later this week.

(Yes, I take notes while I read. You don't?)

No comments:

Post a Comment