Friday, September 9, 2011

An update ...

I forgot that yesterday was supposed to be my measure day, so I did it this morning ... I've lost another 1/2 inch on my bust, one inch on my waist, and 1/2 inch in the hips. Not too bad, considering I ate fattening and sugary food throughout the day on Tuesday.

I didn't weigh myself, not sure why. Probably because of the pigout day I had, not to mention I'm entering the PMS stage, which means BLOAT CITY.

I was chatting with my BFF Steph this morning, who, by the way, is svelte and gorgeous and has about the cutest baby daughter I've ever seen (besides my own, of course), and she mentioned a conversation she had with her sis wherein the topic was being able to eat whatever without repercussions.

I see the phrase "I eat whatever I want" occasionally in interviews with slim celebrities and what not, and not only is it a grating comment, but it's also misleading to those of us who eat emotionally or compulsively. We gnash our teeth and tear at our clothes because So-and-So is able to remain a size 2 while eating anything she wants, but the truth is, she probably doesn't WANT to eat a dozen Double Stuf Oreos at a time, or several scoops of butter pecan ice cream (is that an "old person's" ice cream? Once when I mentioned it was one of my faves, an acquaintance asked me if I was 80.), or half a pepperoni pizza, or a cheeseburger and large fries, or an indulgent dessert after a sizeable meal, etc. What I want to eat and what a normal eater wants to eat are entirely different things - hence the weight difference.

So what I've got to want is to eat foods that will get me closer to those smaller jeans AND not feel deprived while eating them. Tall order.

Though the one thing I have going for me is that I do enjoy working out. And I also tend to just automatically make better food choices when I do ... I may have mentioned that before.

I get an email newsletter from Get-Fit Guy, and today's was about the ideal weight. If all his calucations are confusing, he also conveniently provided this very helpful and very interesting link. I was pretty happy with what it considered my ideal weight to be, though I haven't been there in several years. Sigh. I also did the weight loss calculator and was surprised to see that my "to lose weight" daily calories were 1,000 cals lower than my "to maintain" calories. 1,000 ... that seems like a lot of extra food, which I'm obviously eating during weeks that I don't lose weight. Seeing those hard figures is always eye-opening.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the numbers girl! Little by little all your dreams can come true :)

    You like to workout? Are you insane?! Just kidding. I like the thought of working out, and the cute clothes, but the activity isn't top on my priority list. I'm better at activities that burn calories but don't feel like such a chore--like walking with baby girl or hitting the zoo.

    I think you're spot on about comparing what you want to eat versus someone else. I've never thought about it that way, but it rings true to me. Such keen observation. No wonder you're my BFF :)

    And who needs an ego boost when I can just read your blog? You're far too complimenting.

    ReplyDelete