Friday, August 5, 2011

Ego too big? Have kids.

Here are just a few of the ego-plummeting comments I've heard within the last couple years:

"Smoosh, smoosh" ... said by my nine-year-old daughter as she pushed on my belly.

"What is that thing on your face?!" ... said in disgust by my daughter as she pointed to a mole on my chin.

"Ew ... what is THAT?" ... said, again in disgust, by my seven-year-old son as he noticed a skin tag I have under my arm. (When I told him he needed to go have breakfast, he informed me that he had lost his appetite.)

"Your nose is all slimy!" ... said by my daughter after she pinched my nose (I have an oily T-zone, what can I say!?)

"Your legs jiggle when you do that." ... said by my daughter as she watched me do step aerobics (and after she had just noted out loud that the people in the video were all in such good shape).

"You have a little hair poking out of your nose." ... said by my daughter as we chatted.

"Jiggle, jiggle." ... said by my daughter's friend while we were in the pool and after I lifted my arms up to put my hair in a ponytail.

Sigh.

I know they aren't being mean or trying to be hurtful - it's all observation. But someone who doesn't know me and only read the above might thing I look like some fat Halloween witch with random facial hair and protruding moles and warts ... which I don't, I promise!

I want my kids to be proud of me - of the things I do, of course, but also in how I present myself. Now, obviously, a curious nose hair isn't something I can always necessarily avoid, but I can be fit and less jiggly, be a good example of taking care of oneself and taking pride in one's appearance. I've talked about this (pride in appearance) with my daughter in regard to nail polish. It's one of my pet peeves to see chipped nail or toe polish, and I was getting on her case about needing to freshen up her toe polish since it looks so sloppy when it's all chipped up, and it's all part of taking pride in your appearance.

A lesson in practicing what I preach?

My toes are perfectly polished, thank you.

Okay, okay ... yes, pride in how I look, I know.

Of course, I can't want to lose weight and get fit for anyone other than me. But having my kids look at me and smile with pride would mean quite a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment