Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's August???

Wow … a broken laptop has really put a damper on my post writing. Hopefully I’ll have it back soon.
I’m still coffee free, though I have had some caffeine in pop. Yes, I had some pop. I actually miss that more than the coffee. What I miss about coffee is the ritual of it, holding that warm mug with both hands on cold mornings, hearing my coffee maker beep beep beep beep to let me know that coffee’s ready, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning, telling my kids that I can not possibly do ANYTHING until I’ve had my first complete cup of coffee. Good times. Now, I drink water all day long. I tried it with lemon, but found that it irritated the whole stomach acid condition, so just plain ol’ ice water for me. Weird. But this is life now.
Will I ever go back to drinking coffee? I don’t know. I do enjoy the taste of it, but I’ve proven to myself that I don’t need it. Yes, we read good things about it all the time, antioxidants and other health benefits, but … I’m still in the stage where sipping coffee is associated with terrible nausea. No thanks.
I weighed myself about a week ago and my reaction was - oh crap. The numbers on the scale had been ever so slightly creeping upward. I’ve been more mindful of my food choices and have actually exercised a few times as well. When I exercise regularly, I’ve found that I automatically eat better, because why go through all that strain and sweat, and then pig out?
There have been times when I’ve decided that I enjoy food too much to try to cut back or give things up, so I’m just going to work out everyday to make up for it. Then, a few days later, I decide that I really don’t like working out so I’d better just eat less and better.
Right now, I’m in a “I like working out” mode. I just feel strong and healthy when I get a good workout in, and it’s a positive step in the right direction. I see women walking or running near my house every day and so many of them are incredibly fit, and I think, “That could be me.”
It takes work and careful thought and intentional choices to be thin and fit. Sitting around feeling envious of women who actually make smart food choices and make time to exercise does nothing to move me forward. I was telling my awesome friend Steph the other day that my mindset lately has been “More action, less talk” and not just about food, but about my life in general. Choosing to forgo french fries or dessert, and deciding to go for a walk or work out with weights gets me closer to my goals. It’s all these small decisions that add up to huge change and, hopefully, no more huge Sheri.  

No comments:

Post a Comment