Monday, August 22, 2011

The "friend" part of "frenemy"

I got to thinking the other day that by stating that food is my frenemy, I acknowledge that, at times, food is my "friend." I'm not always battling with food. I enjoy food. I love reading about it, I love perusing cookbooks, I like cooking and love baking, I LOVE going through the kitchen section of just about any store (Meijer and Target being particular faves).

One of my longest-standing dreams, besides publishing a book, is to have a big luscious kitchen someday. I've always had small galley kitchens; I want lots of space - lots of counter space and tons of cupboards and drawers, and a pantry, and an island with a sink in it, and one of those racks where you can lay your dishes vertically like books on a shelf, and a few of the cupboards should have glass doors so you can see the gorgeous plates and glassware that I'm sure to own when I have this dream kitchen, and a double oven (the oven in the wall like my Gram B's house had would be awesome!), and a large stove top where half of it is a grill, and a beautiful tile backsplash, and shelves to display my cookbooks  ... <catching breath>.

I really haven't given this much thought.

That being said, I think I'd like to start including posts that are simply about food - not necessarily my problems with it, my battle with the scale, my skinny jeans pushed to the top shelf of my closet, and on and on.

As I mentioned the other day, at the suggestion of my gorgeous friend, Steph E, I had searched out some blogs with similar topics as mine, and found quite a few I enjoyed reading. Because this particular topic involves "food" I also found some AWESOME blogs about cooking and recipes and what not. Have you seen these blogs? They are amazing, with photos of ingredients set out cutely before cooking commences, then step-by-step photos of the item being prepared, then drool-inducing shots of spectactular-looking food.

I have bookmarked some of those blogs: Brown Eyed Baker, Smitten Kitchen ... I'll link more when I find them. I dare you to visit one and not be pulled into the writing, the photography and the great food.

As I perused, I didn't comment or otherwise involve myself much in the food blogs because, well, food bloggers just seem so cool, so out of my league. And what am I gonna say? "I binged out after making your recipe for homemade cream-filled long johns! Thanks for sharing!"

The point is, food doesn't have to be something I'm always fighting with. After all, I didn't call this blog Food as Enemy. It's about finding balance.

1 comment: